Heat Advisory –
Cooling Center Opens in Petersburg
URGENT - Weather Message
City of Petersburg will open a Cooling Center at Petersburg Area Transit (100 West Washington Street). The Cooling Center will operate from 12:00PM until 6:00PM on July 19 and 20.
The Cooling Center will also open on Sunday, July 21st from 12:00PM – 6:00PM.
Petersburg Fire Safety, Petersburg Bureau of Police and Animal Control will continue patrolling the City monitoring for persons and pets that could be in distress. Police vehicles are equipped with coolers to provide water and relief if necessary.
Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke and any heat related illnesses are considered Emergencies - Call 911!
Heat Safety Tips
- Hot cars can be deadly. Never leave children or pets in your vehicle. The inside temperature of the car can quickly reach 120 degrees.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids. Avoid drinks with caffeine or alcohol.
- Check on family, friends, and neighbors who are most likely to be affected by the heat.
- Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-colored clothing. Avoid dark colors as they absorb the sun’s rays.
- Slow down, stay indoors and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest part of the day.
- Postpone outdoor games and activities.
- Use a buddy system when working in excessive heat. Take frequent breaks if working outdoors.
- Check on animals frequently to ensure that they are not suffering from the heat. Make sure they have plenty of cool water.