Due to the anticipated weather forecast, the City of Petersburg advises residents to prepare for the winter storm. In case of extreme weather conditions, the City of Petersburg Department of Public Works will make sure major roadways are clear. Secondary roadways in neighborhoods will be cleared as soon as possible.
There have been several cancelations for Saturday, January 23 and Sunday, January 24. The Petersburg Public Library will be closed on Saturday, January 23. All youth basketball games scheduled for Saturday, January 23 have been cancelled and the Famers Market will be closed as well. The Petersburg Animal Care and Control (PAC&C) will be closed on Saturday, January 23 to the public. PAC&C will be working emergency calls for service. If you are a pet owner or know someone with pets that may need some assistance getting through the winter storm, please contact PAC&C at (804) 732-3654.
All Petersburg museums and visitor centers will be closed. The “Ghost Watch” originally scheduled for Sunday, January 24 will be postponed until Saturday, January 30 from 6 to 9 p.m. All tickets purchased will be honored on January 30 and refunds are available with proof of purchase by calling (804) 733-2400.
Central Virginia Waste Management Authority (CVWMA) trash collection contractor plans to start collection early Friday morning, January 22 (5 a.m.) to stay ahead of the snowstorm. If for any reason the current weather predictions change and Friday road conditions are worse than anticipated, CVWMA staff will post updated messaging on its website (www.cvwma.com) and record a message on the Trash Collection Hotline (804) 425-0500.
The City ask that residents remain home during winter storms and offers the following safety recommendations:
• If you must drive, drive cautiously at a decreased speed
• Have a full take of gas
• Have a fully charged cell phone with you
• Stay inside if possible. If you must to go out, wear lightweight clothing in layers
• Wear mittens or gloves and a hat, preferable one that covers your ears
• Seek medical attention immediately if you have symptoms of hypothermia (extreme low body temperature) or frostbite
• Avoid overloading electrical outlets
• Do not connect your generator directly to your home’s permanent wiring. Connecting a portable electric generator directly to your household wiring can be deadly to you and others. Please follow the manufacture's operating instructions.
• DO NOT operate your generator inside your home.
• If space heaters are being used, follow the manufacturer¹s instructions on how to safely use the heater. Make sure your space heater is at least three feet away from any combustible material. Turn the space heater off when you leave the room or go to sleep. Keep children and pets away from your space heater;
• Stove or ovens should not be used as an alternate source to heat your home
• Bring your pets indoors. If you are unable to bring them inside, provide adequate shelter to keep them warm and make sure they can get to unfrozen water
• If you- own property bordering a public sidewalk, it is your responsibility to remove snow off the sidewalk after snowfall City code (98-2132)
For up to date information and additional instruction from the City of Petersburg during this weather event, please visit www.petersburgva.gov, follow the City on Twitter @PetersburgV, Facebook and stay tuned to local radio and television stations.