With temperatures and the heat index forecast in the three digits this week, the City of Petersburg is opening its Comfort Station on Tuesday, July 19 through Saturday, July 23 from 6:00am to 6:00pm. The Petersburg Transit Station, located at 100 West Washington Street, serves as the City’s Comfort Station for city residents. The Transit Center has air conditioning and water.
Food and pets (except service animals) are not allowed. The doors to the Transit Center will be open on Union Street and the Operations side (bus boarding area). The Washington Street doors will be closed.
The City is also asking its residents to check on their neighbors, especially senior citizens and people who have health problems during this period of extreme heat. For emergencies, please call 911.
The following are helpful tips to manage the heat’s effects:
- Drink Plenty of Fluids—Drink 2-4 glasses of cool fluids each hour. To replace salt and minerals lost from sweating, drink fruit juice or a sports beverage during exercise or when you must work outside. If you’re on a fluid-restricted diet or diuretics or on a low-salt diet, ask your doctor.
- Keep Cool Indoors—If you can, stay in an air-conditioned area. Shower or take a cool bath. Consider a trip to the cooling shelter, mall, library, or a friend’s house with air conditioning. At temperatures in the high 90’s, a fan may not prevent heat-related illness. Spending at least two hours per day in air conditioning significantly reduces the number of heat related illnesses.
- Plan Outdoor Activities Around the Heat—If you must go outside, go before noon or at night when it’s cooler. Resting frequently when you are outside will give your body a chance to recover from the heat.
- Avoid Sunburn and Wear Light Clothing—Sunburn limits your body’s ability to keep itself cool and causes loss of body fluids. Use sunscreen with a higher SPF. Lighter weight clothing that is loose fitting and light-colored is more comfortable. Use a hat to keep the head cool.
- Give Your Body a Break—The heat wave is stressful on your body. Limit physical activity until your body adjusts to the heat.