Petersburg, Virginia COVID-19 UPDATES
March 16, 2020
Petersburg City Government Operations:
Beginning March 17, 2020, City Government office buildings will either close to the public or open with reduced operations.
Adjusted operation hours of 9:30am - 3:30pm will run from March 17, 2020 - March 30, 2020.
Facilities Closed to the Public include:
- Petersburg Public Library
- All Petersburg Museums
- Blandford Cemetery Records Office (Only offering services via telephone or email)
- Petersburg Freedom Support Center
- All City Parks, Recreation Facilities and Administrative Office
- City Hall and City Hall Annex
- Community Corrections (20 East Tabb Street, 3rd Floor)
- Fire Stations will be closed to Tours and Events
- Code Compliance
- Petersburg Animal Care and Control
- Public Utilities and Street Operations
- Facilities Management & Operations Office
- Union Train Station
- Petersburg City Office of Voter Registrations and Elections
(Any person needing to register to vote, to make changes of name and address, or needing absentee balloting assistance for the June Election can visit the Election website of www.vote.virginia.gov or email email@example.com)
Facilities open to the public with reduced operations include:
- Fire Stations – (Emergency Only)
- Petersburg Bureau of Police (Front window only)
- Petersburg Area Transit (Greyhound Ticket Office only)
- Fiscal Management Building / Billing & Collections (Effective March 18, in-person payments only accepted through new collection window)*
- Circuit Court - Open until 4:00pm. Strict limited access to the public from 8am-11am Monday through Friday. No access to the public after 11am. Please call prior to visiting the office, 804-733-2367. Please contact your attorney to reschedule cases.
- Department of Social Services – (Front Area Lobby only)
- Dogwood Trace Golf Course (Walk-up window only)
Petersburg Area Transit will continue operating with limited routes (see below)
* Billing and Collections: The Office of Billing and Collections will no longer accept cash payments. At this time, we are only accepting credit card, money order, cashier check, or personal check.
To minimize any potential spread or exposure, the City is strongly encouraging our residents to use the online payment portal, drop box (located at 144 N. Sycamore Street), and pay by mail.
Utilities will accept customers through the new collections window Monday-Friday, 10am-12pm and 1pm-2pm
March 15, 2020
All City government offices and facilities in Petersburg will be closed Monday, March 16th for planning and to begin additional cleaning in response to the COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak: CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
Petersburg Area Transit will provide limited service until further notice READ MORE
Limited Service Turn-By-Turn Routes
Residential recycling and trash collections are on regular pickup schedule week of March 16.
Meals on Wheels Assistance: Click Here
Additional Local Food Resources: Click Here
March 14, 2020
City Government Offices Will Remain Open
City staff will continue working with our Director of General Services to clean and disinfect public areas. However, given the rapidity of the COVID-19 spread, it is still strongly encouraged to continue practicing extreme personal hygiene including frequent hand washing with antibacterial soap for at least 20 seconds, avoiding touching your face, and covering coughs and sneezes to minimize airborne pathogens.
Currently, to limit in-person interaction and avoid the spread of any respiratory illnesses, we are strongly encouraging our residents to use online payment portals, drop box and pay by mail to limit any potential exposure.
City Events and Outreach
Effective immediately, City sponsored events will be limited to no more than 30 participants. The Centers for Disease Control has yet to provide guidance on maximum event size, although it offers important advice to planners.
When an event is taking place, planners should communicate to visitors and participants the importance of exercising their personal discretion. Please advise individuals not to attend if they fall into a category recommended for quarantine, they have underlying chronic health conditions, or they are sick.
Postponed Events include:
- March 17, 2020 City Council Meeting
- Fiscal Management Building Open House/Ribbon Cutting
- Petersburg Black History Month Festival
- Don-A-Matrix Day Fitness Festival
March 13, 2020
Petersburg City Council Meeting scheduled for March 17, 2020 has been postponed until further notice.
March 12, 2020
The City of Petersburg is encouraging City employees and community members to heed necessary precautions to minimize the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19). The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) is in constant communication with Petersburg administrative leaders, local health districts, the CDC, and other partners.
The best defense against the virus is rigorous personal hygiene, including frequent hand washing with antibacterial soap for at least 20 seconds. Avoid touching your face and always cover coughs and sneezes to minimize airborne pathogens.
Coronavirus in Virginia: Click Here
Petersburg City Public Schools Coronavirus updates: Click Here
Virginia State University Coronavirus Updates: Click Here
Richard Bland College Coronavirus Updates: Click Here
Southside regional medical center (Bon Secours) Coronavirus updates: Click Here
Travel abroad and Spring Break
With Spring Break near, it is important for families to become familiar with guidance and travel warnings posted on the Centers for Disease Control website. If you are traveling to a country with a Level 3 Travel Health Notice, the CDC guidance states: “Travelers should stay home for 14 days after returning to the United States and practice social distancing.” CDC TRAVEL GUIDELINES
Keep your Family Safe
If you or your child has symptoms of illness that would prevent participation at work or school, then please remain at home. Returning to work or school too soon may delay recovery from illness and may potentially expose others.
Petersburg Department of Social Services Resources:
Calls for Medicaid: 1-855-242-8282
Customer Service Center: 1-855-635-4370
Health District COVID-19 Video: Click Here
World Health Organization Videos: Click Here
Resources for Faith-Based Leaders: Click Here
Meals on Wheels Assistance: Click Here
Links to more resources on COVID-19:
COVID-19 Main Information Sites:
COVID-19 Symptoms and Prevention:
COVID-19 Help Stop Misinformation:
COVID-19 Community and Household Preparation:
COVID-19 Travel Guidelines: