- Departments A-I
- City Assessor
City Assessor Duties
The City Assessor is appointed by and reports directly to the Petersburg City Council. As their primary adviser on state and local laws and policies applicable to appraisal and assessment of real property, the duties include directing an effective comprehensive assessment program for Petersburg and leading a team of dedicated professionals.
City Assessor's Office
VISION - To be a model assessment office with a team of dedicated professionals, utilizing best practices and realizing the benefits of technology within a supportive legal framework.
MISSION - The City Assessor’s Office fairly and equitably assesses the real estate in the City of Petersburg biennially and provides accurate property information under the authority of the Constitution of Virginia, Code of Virginia and Petersburg City Code and in accordance with standards of professional practice.
VALUES - The guiding values of the City Assessor's Office are equalization, accuracy and efficiency: These values guide all valuation activities, the maintenance and distribution of information, as well as general administrative and technical functions.
Activities of the City Assessor's Office
- Biennial reassessment program
- Maintain accurate property information.
- Process new construction, renovations and demolitions
- Administer special tax programs - rehabilitation, exemptions, land use and damage assessment
- Process "Office Appeals" and provide administrative support to the Board of Equalization